List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [X-POST] KDE and Google Code-In 2010 -- we need Ideas!
From:       todd rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-27 4:57:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've attached a file outlining relevant things about Google Code-In,
> and summarized the stuff discussed in today's meeting on #kde-soc
> (which was announced mostly on the mentors' mailing list).
>
> The application deadline is very soon -- on 29th, and our idea list
> (http://community.kde.org/GoogleCodeIn/2010/Ideas) is not as
> well-populated as it should ideally be.
>
> Fearing that is mostly because one doesn't know what kind of tasks to
> come up with, I've attached some quick and easy-to-read information
> and suggestions that a couple of us compiled from details discussed
> during the GSoC Mentor Summit 2010 and an IRC meeting held about 6
> hours ago.
>
> Please help us get as many ideas as possible, so that we can bring the
> success that KDE has been having with SoC to Code-In as well.
>
> Regards
> Akarsh
> [Proxying for a Lydia who's in transit :)]

> unsubscribe <<

Some possibilities (some may be too easy or too hard:

Additional measurement units for qalculate or some other KDE-related unit
convertor.

Physics demonstrations from your textbook in step

Recreate a certain number of the orbit simulations from the following
website in step: http://burtleburtle.net/bob/physics/

Implement an additional dictionary backend in the dictionary plasma widget
(may be too difficult)

A cantor worksheet implementing all of the equations from one chapter in an
algebra-1 or above textbook

A plasma implementation of the Antikythera mechanism

Implement either collision detection between balls (if this is even
possible), random brownian motion in individual balls, realistic bouncing of
non-circular balls, or deformation on bouncing for the plasma bouncy ball

Implement a realistic real-time solar system map, to scale, with zooming, in
plasma

Reimpliment the NASA JPL Asteroid Watch Widget in plasma:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatch/download.cfm

Implement a new screensaver or plasma wallpaper based on a science or math
principle.  This could include porting one of the many science or
math-oriented screensaver to a plasma wallpaper, or making a new one from
scratch

Extend the plasma calculator to include a scientific, statistic, or numeral
system mode with all of the functions in the corresponding mode from kcalc.

Implement one of the alternative period table layouts in kalzium.  See here
for a list: http://www.meta-synthesis.com/webbook/35_pt/pt_database.php