List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Moving/Copying Files] Overwriting identical files
From:       "Valentin Rusu" <kde () rusu ! info>
Date:       2010-09-30 14:37:56

> Hi,
>

> This could be either opt-in (via a checkbox) or always on with just an
> information text in the dialog. The hash function should be one that is
> very
> fast to calculate and if the file system supports and stores checksums for
> files those should be used.

You can check fdupes program wich has a pretty fast checksum algorithm.

> ====Open Questions + Discussion====
> What do you think of this idea, should something like that be implemented?

I think it's a good idea. This would help save time when
copying/overwriting lots of files.

Another case I see here is when e destination directory's integrity is
under suspicion (e.g. externa drive uncorrectly unplugged) when files may
have same timestamp/size as original but the contents may be
different/incomplete. Thus, overwriting using your proposal would be very
nice :)