List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE SC startup performance improvements
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-29 17:04:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010, Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> * Is there a way, maybe a hidden developer feature, to log the startup time
> and duration of each service and the whole KDE workspace? The output could
> be used to generate a bootchart like visualization.
> Indeed it should be possible to use the bootchart app to render the
> results, but a simple log file would be enough for optimizations in the
> first place.

imho using bootchart is probably the best way to go because it will catch all
parts of the system, not just the parts we write. it also avoids a lot of
duplication of effort that went into making bootchart in the first place :)

> Why an own app?
> * Because the existing applications need manual configuration and are not
> easy to setup.
> * A KDE solution that comes with KDE SC could always fit perfectly to the
> current software version (correct file list).
> * Installed by default with KDE SC all KDE users would benefit from this
> improvement.
>
> What do you think?

first, by "KDE SC" i assume you mean Plasma Desktop? the Plasma Netbook would
be another interesting target, but one things at a time i suppose.

measuring Plasma Desktop with and without kwin desktop effects might be
interesting as well.

to know if such a solution works will require measuring and more measuring,
but i think we'd all be very interested in the results.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se