List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Custom Shutdown Options
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-08-27 16:16:23

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 05:22:48PM +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> You actually need to come back from suspension and then hibernate.
> This can be done using ACPI wakeup (basically telling the BIOS to wake
> up at a certain point in the future), but that's unreliable.

even my 8 years old desktop does it reliably ...
of course it doesn't support the acpi interface for that, so i'm using
the nvram-wakeup.sf.net tool.
( http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-July/002630.html if you
are curious about my setup).

> Another problem here is heat management, if the machine wakes up
> "randomly" to do something (i.e. hibernate), it might sit in a bag
> where it can't get rid of the heat. Now most machines will survive a
> minute without ventilation while running, but it is a risk.

i'm not worried *at all* by the regular one minute spinup.
but i *am* worried about what happens when something goes wrong during
the hibernation and the thing continues running at 100% cpu.