List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE accessibility
From:       Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-08-19 21:14:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Franklin <franklin@goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Today I attended COSCUP(Conference for Open Source Coders, Users and
> Promotors) held in Taiwan. This year they are holding it with GNOME.Asia
> Summit.
>
> In a session they are talking about GNOME accessibility.  What confused me
> was
> that, different speakers in this session said that "there are no
> accessibility
> features and packages in KDE" (from a speaker who is a teacher in Taiwan),
> "The framework of KDE accessibility is not complete" (from speakers who
> work
> in Sun Oracle and are the GNOME accessibility developers).
>
> I remember that there are actually many features for KDE accessibility.  I
> translated them into our language.  Most, though not all, of the
> accessibility
> features they demoed should be in KDE as well.  However, they all seemed
> not
> to know or acknowledge the accessibility in KDE.  A listener even asked if
> they plan to port the framework of GNOME accessibility into KDE.

Franklin,

KDE Accessibility is nowhere near GNOME accessibility for completeness
unfortunately.  At least on linux.  There is a plan in place that has been
worked on by many to bridge qt accessibility to at-spi2 which is dbus based
rather than corba that at-spi used.  It's not quite ready yet though.  I
wrote a blog article about the state of kde accessibility a number of months
ago that can be read here:
http://jpwhiting.blogspot.com/2010/02/state-of-free-accessibility.html  Not
a whole lot has changed since then though.

Well, I don't mean to wage any war.  I'm just curious that, is the KDE
> accessibility features and framework THAT bad?  Or is it just because of
> being
> in the forum of GNOME?  What do you think about that?

Well, we have no support for screen-readers, or braille, or such.  We do
have magnification and some utilities for mouse help with disabilities, but
once qt-at-spi bridge is in place, kde/Qt apps should work with the gnome
screen reader Orca, and with any other gnome accessibility tools.

Regards,
Jeremy