List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdevelop - gdb - slow - stalls
From:       Guray Acar <G.Acar () surrey ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2010-07-23 10:39:04

Bugzilla from robert.riemann@physik.hu-berlin.de wrote:

> On Thursday 22 July 2010 17:34:02 Guray Acar wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > This has to do with gdb slowing down while debugging C++ code with
> > KDevelop. I am NOT talking about shared libraries or function calls etc.
> > It's a lot simpler than that. Debugging session starts all too well. No
> > problems. Stepping in/out of function. All smooth.
> > After a while, it is almost as if "the debugger gets tired", and gdb
> > starts
> > spending as long as tens of minutes for statements as simple as
> > incrementing an integer variable or breaking out of a switch statement.
> >
> > I look at cpu usage via linux top command. GDB seems to be making full
> > (95%
> > to 100%) use of the CPU during this time.
> >
> > I cannot reproduce the error. I used to use KDevelop-3.3.3 over KDE 3.5.3
> > with FC4 Red Hat. I never experienced this problem.
> > Now, I am using the configuration below. The problem always shows up
> > after
> > a while. Can't guess when, but it does show up
> > I wonder if anyone has experienced this problem.
> >

> Maybe you want to use
> > -----
> > OpenSUSE 11.2 (i586), Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2, i686 i686 i386
> openSUSE 11.3
> > gcc version 4.4.1
> > KDevelop 3.5.5 using KDE 3.5.10 "release 32" openSUSE
> and KDevelop 4.0.1 with gdb > 7.1 It worked quite nice for me.
>
> Best regards,
> Robert
> > GDB SUSE (6.8.91.200909030-2.4)
> > RAM 1GB
> > CPU Intel 3.28 GHz
> > -----
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Guray

> > > unsubscribe <<

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't even think that the problem has to do with KDevelop. I am nowhere an
expert on KDevelop, but I thought it's only a front-end for GDB while
debugging source code.
I think the problem has more to do with mismatch between GDB v6.8 and gcc
v4.4.1.
Do you reckon my assumption is correct?

Cheers,

Guray