List:       kde-devel
Subject:    smserverconfigimpl: friendly application selector
From:       Henk te Sligte <htesligte () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-12 15:16:53

Hi all,

I have a few applications that I don't want to start up when SMServer
restores my session. So I went to the dialog where I can add
applications I don't want to start up. But I found the text box there
not quite clear. I have to manually add the applications, but I didn't
know the executable name. Therefore, I needed to open the Menu Editor
to figure out what the executable was. In my opinion, that can be a
lot easier. So I started looking around how to create a nice overview
of the current applications, so I could create a review request, and
maybe even contribute to KDE. However, I can't figure out how to
create such an overview. I looked around in the dolphin source,
because I think they have done a great job with the Open With dialog.
But that source code is quite complicated to me as a KDE beginner, so
I was wondering if someone could help me out.
I found in the documentation the method
KFileItemActions::associatedApplications, but I'm not sure that does
what I want. The interface in kmenueditor looks a bit more
complicated, and it also shows categories that I don't need, and it
looks like they parsed a complete list. But isn't there just a widget
for that job? I can't find that anywhere.

I hope you understand what I mean, and if not, here are two
screenshots to explain what I want ;-)
Obviously, all this is my opinion, if you guys think the text box is
as user friendly as it needs to be, that's fine, but I just want to
see if I can do this :)
The text box in smserverconfigimpl (Session Manager):
http://i31.tinypic.com/2gvv9j4.jpg
The dialog I mean in dolphin: http://i27.tinypic.com/1rsmq9.png

Thanks in advance :)
Greetings,