List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase-runtime links to Qt's phonon rather than to KDE's phonon
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-01 11:13:26

On Thursday 01 July 2010 7:16:22 pm Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On Thursday 01 July 2010 10:20:54 Ian Wadham wrote:
> > Did anyone in this discussion mention
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Prerequisites#Phonon
>
> That's me who updated this page based on whatever I can make sense of....

Good on ya, Anne-Marie!

> This Phonon business is a mess (a communication mess) and I don't find it
>  easy to really know what is going on, either from Phonon KDE people or
>  from Qt people...
> <snip>
> Anne-Marie
>
> PS: building trunk on its own is getting more and more difficult!

Heh!  Tell me about it!  After a lapse of 8 months, I built trunk in the last
day or two, but I am not trying to run a trunk desktop, just link my apps
and others in kdegames to trunk libraries that will run them.

My favorite bit in "Prerequisites" (which caused me two failed attempts) was
"Since the 26th April 2010, DBusMenu is a new dependency for kdelibs."
The "recipe" did not work first time.  "Troubleshooting" says (baldly), "You
need json to build the tests.  If your version is not correct, you will lose
the context menu for the systray icons."  Pretty cryptic, eh ... :-)

I took a stab in the dark with a thing called Qjson and the errors went away,
but I really do not like flying by the seat of my pants at my age ... :-)

Cheers, Ian W.