List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase-runtime links to Qt's phonon rather than to KDE's phonon
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-01 8:20:54

On Thursday 01 July 2010 5:40:34 pm Angel Tsankov wrote:
> I think PHONON_* and QT_PHONON_* look fine, but I still can't figure out
> why the build system tries to link kcm_phonon to
> /opt/qt/qt/lib/libphonon.so rather than to /usr/lib/libphonon.so.  By
> the way, which phonon should kcm_phonon be linked to: the one that comes
> with Qt (/opt/qt/qt/lib/libphonon.so) or the one available at
> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/phonon (/usr/lib/libphonon.so).  If it
> is the latter, then either I'm not building KDE the way it should be
> built or there is some bug in the build system...

Did anyone in this discussion mention
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Prerequisites#Phonon
That seems to say that if you build KDE and Phonon from the KDE source,
you install Phonon in $QTDIR anyway.  That gels with this quote from a thread
about 2 weeks ago on kde-devel entitled "Multiple sounds with phonon".

On Thursday 17 June 2010 00:29:00 Ian Wadham wrote:
> ATM they are using Phonon mainly AFAIK.  My game, KGoldrunner, uses
> KDE Phonon but should probably use Qt Phonon.  I am really confused
> about that, so my response is do nothing ... like a rabbit in the
> headlights?

"There is only one Phonon. The only difference is that Qt ships with a
slightly outdated copy of the Phonon we ship stand-alone (what you probably
refer to as KDE Phonon)." ... Martin Sandsmark, Phonon Maintainer

Hope this can help, Ian W.