List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multiple sounds with phonon
From:       Arno Rehn <kde-devel () arnorehn ! de>
Date:       2010-06-21 21:56:08

On Monday 21 June 2010 23:02:28 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 09:09 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On June 16, 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> Long answer made short: use SDL, fmod or some other similar audio
> >> library.
> >
> > let me suggest something "radical" here: follow in the footsteps of
> > Amarok, who also rely on Phonon, and do some work on Phonon itself.
>
> Personally, I don't see a reason to try and fix anything in Phonon.
> QtMultimedia is going to replace Phonon.
I hope it won't come that far. QtMultimedia is just so low-level.

> Given that I write Qt
> applications, not KDE applications, it doesn't even make sense for me to
> use Phonon at all anymore since it's going to be deprecated.
Where did you get that from? That's complete news to me.

> All valid points, but it just takes too long to fix everything.  At one
> point I had my app working OK with Phonon on Linux.  However, on OS X
> and Windows (far more important targets than Linux), it didn't work
> (hangs, crashes, no sound, etc, etc.)
>
> Phonon is a nice, easy API.  But if it doesn't work, people are going to
> choose something else instead of fixing it.
> We focus on our own
> applications and already have our hands full with them.  We just need
> something that works everywhere.  If something doesn't, we choose
> something else.  I guess they call this "natural selection" :-/
As long as KDE uses Phonon, it will be fixed. And I hope KDE will use Phonon
for a very long time. The QtMultimedia API is just a pain in the ass. When I
simply want to play an audio file, Phonon is just the way to go.
But I guess QtMultimedia and Phonon just have very different use-cases. And
using QtMultimedia for stuff like Amarok is a step backwards.

--
Arno Rehn
arno@arnorehn.de