List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde.org-quality-whatsthis@kde.org failure notice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-06-09 1:46:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On June 8, 2010, Marcel Martin wrote:
> Any objections?

yes; because:

* if / when you go away, we will have the same problem all over again, only
with a mailing list so it doesn't bounce, but just goes into a black hole.

* it will still show up in Qt-only apps and apps written with KDE libs which
have no affiliation with us. this can be worked around by adding checks to see
if the bug address matches a kde.org address, but that's quite the work
around.

* it means an application-global event filter: every event the app gets goes
through it. for something this marginal, i just can't see that being worth it.

* it's yet more code in kdelibs that implements a "cool community idea" which
doesn't really help the actual quality of the apps; look at the submitted text
in this case, which is full of jargon and needs editing anyways. if we want
comprehensive WhatsThis in an app, it would be more time economical for one
person who will write quality text without jargon to sit down and write those
texts than to provide the editting for these snippets.

* finally, when we look at the time when this feature was actually being
maintained and requests were going in, we can see that the applications didn't
exactly fill up with WhatsThis info as we'd hoped. it was a good idea, it
didn't work.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se