List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in activity.cpp?
From:       Michael Jansen <kde () michael-jansen ! biz>
Date:       2010-05-26 22:19:55

On Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010 21:59:39 patrick flaherty wrote:

> >          ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > That look s wrong. Where did you install your trunk kdelibs build
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Install my trunk kdelibs build?  I don't remember doing that.

You did. cmakekde is doing that for you. Most likely you installed somewhere into you $HOME
directory.

> The KDE
> that was running was what came originally with openSUSE11.2 - which I
> think was KDE 4.3.  I use the past tense because one of the steps here
> (the instructions I've been following for the exercise):
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Developing/Guide
>
> upgraded the installation to 4.4.76.

Just had a look and yes your installation was updated at the "Install Software needed for KDE 4
step".

> I've looked around and while I've found various KDE libraries in
> production locations, I confess that I haven't found a single location
> that I think corresponds to the running KDE installation.

I don't really understand you here but i guess your problem is the following. The recipe provides
two scripts. kde4-run-env and kde4-build-env. Whenever you want to work on the kde4 development
front you have to issue ". kde4-build-env" first and THEN do it. ALWAYS.

I guess you configured your kdebase checkout while having the kde4-run-env active. You have two
possibilities to prevent that from happening:

1. Open yast and remove all kde-devel packages (kdebase(4?)-devel, kdelibs(4?)-devel ...). If you
plan to compile that stuff yourself anyway you don't need it. And as you just learned it will make
your day miserable when you forget to switch to the correct environment.

2. Work in a virtual machine if your workstation can handle it. Just install a xfce desktop or
"konsole login" only package selection and compile kde yourself there. Is a bit harder.

Mike