List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: bug in activity.cpp?
From:       patrick flaherty <patf () well ! com>
Date:       2010-05-25 18:17:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 5/24/2010 12:33 PM, patrick flaherty wrote:
> Thanx Arno,
>
> I have all three of: kdelibs, kdepimlibs and kdebase.  I've been trying
> to keep them in sync with frequent svn udpates followed by builds.
>
> All three are pulling from the same set of repositories.  (the list for
> which I put in my first message).
>
> So I'll try updating and rebuilding kdelibs and after that return to
> kdebase.  And see what happens.
>
> pat
>

> On 5/24/2010 12:19 PM, Arno Rehn wrote:
>
>> On Monday 24 May 2010 19:38:20 patrick flaherty wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm building KDE for the first time. KDE4 from the trunk. Had this
>>> problem last night (GMT-8).
>>>
>>> Got up this morning; did an svn update and got a number of new files.
>>> Then cmakekde to generate new build files. And rebuild. The problem
>>>

>> When you build kdebase from svn, you'll also have to build kdelibs from SVN.
>> it appears as if you're building trunk kdebase against an old version of
>> kdelibs.

I rebuilt KDE from scratch and ran into the same problem again:

> [ 74%] Built target kdeinit_plasma-desktop_automoc
> Scanning dependencies of target kdeinit_plasma-desktop
> [ 74%] Building CXX object
> workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_plasma-desktop.dir/activity.o
>
> /home/kde-devel/kde/sources/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/activity.cpp:
> In member function 'void
> Activity::insertContainment(Plasma::Containment*)':
> /home/kde-devel/kde/sources/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/activity.cpp:267:
> error: 'class Plasma::Containment' has no member named 'lastScreen'
> /home/kde-devel/kde/sources/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/activity.cpp:268:
> error: 'class Plasma::Containment' has no member named 'lastDesktop'
> make[2]: ***
> [workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_plasma-desktop.dir/activity.o]
> Error 1
> make[1]: ***
> [workspace/plasma/desktop/shell/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_plasma-desktop.dir/all]
> Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I wiped the svn repositories clean and I do know to build kdelibs before
kdebase or kdepimlibs.  This is the svn repository I use for all three:

> |svn checkout -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk|

I've looked at and studied a whole bunch of things.  Gcc -E on
activity.cpp shows me that the symbols lastScreen and lastDekstop don't
get declared anywhere within activity.cpp's header files until the point
at which activity.cpp tries to use them - and blows up.  On the other
hand, kdelibs/plasma/view.cpp (and other files) have the two symbols and
compile without problem.

I would note from here:

http://lxr.kde.org/ident?i=lastScreen

that activity.cpp is the only file under kdebase that accesses these
symbols - as opposed to kdelibs.  I would imagine that my inability to
build activity.cpp is related to this difference.

Starting again from scratch is a long procedure for me.  This step:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/STABLE:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.2/KDE4-BASIS.ymp

from here:

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/KDE4

upgrades the installation to KDE 4.4.7 (with many applications such as
Dolphin not working - however I figured out how to fix what I need).  So
rebuilding from scratch means, for me, wiping out the entire virtual
machine installation (openSUSE 11.2).  Then reinstalling the operating
system and a number of other packages before I even arrive at rebuilding
my local KDE repository and restart the KDE build.  There may be some
better way of doing things but I haven't figured it out yet.

So if someone has some other idea of what I might be doing wrong, I'd be
very happy to hear it.

thanx - pat