List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GPU Implementation of image processing algorithms
From:       kunal ghosh <kunal.t2 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-17 15:52:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,
I am implementing the face recognition algorithm for digikam, and wanted to
use GPGPU <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU> frameworks for the same. But
was not able to decide which framework to use
OpenCL<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL>or
CUDA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA> (C for CUDA specifically).

PS: I am willingly not including any more information about either of the
above frameworks to attract unbiased opinions.

Also, i could code part that would execute on the GPU in python , shortening
the development cycle. Good python bindings exist for either GPU programming
frameworks. Py[CUDA,OpenCL] are the bindings.

Python functions are easily callable from within C/C++ code as demonstrated
by Link 1 <http://docs.python.org/release/2.5.2/ext/callingPython.html>
Link2 <http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/embedpython_1.aspx> and
Link3<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8497>
so, is it fine if the algorithms are implemented in python and then called
from within digikam.

all suggestions , comments welcome.

--
regards
-------

Quote:
"Ignorance is not a sin, the persistence of ignorance is"
--
"If you find a task difficult today, you'll find it difficult 10yrs later
too !"

Blog:kunalghosh.wordpress.com
Website:www.kunalghosh.net46.net
V-card:http://tinyurl.com/86qjyk