Thanks for your reply.

I am not a beginner. Time DOES matter. I am busy with other important work. The benefits are shown on http://wehner.org/compress . A small poster took 1500 bytes as compared with 2130 on GIF. It gets better by LEAPS AND BOUNDS (exponentially), unlike GIF. It has 16 million colours, unlike GIF.

I had Kernigan and Richie's C. I have studied C, and many, many other languages.

I repeat what I was saying, because I cannot say it better. I need the "shell" into which to plug my machine code.

By the way, since registering I am now being spammed by hollowheads at KDE.

Thanks again for your sensible reply, but please look at the page I quoted. It shows that the system has actually been researched and written up in the most entertaining and clear way I, as a long-in-the-tooth techincal author can manage.

Regards

Charles Douglas Wehner