List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How can I modify KDE window layout and behavior?
From:       Lucas Murray <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2010-03-01 2:46:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 06:21:46PM -0500, Evan Kroske wrote:
> Could this be a project for the Google Summer of Code? I'm hoping to work on
> an open-source project this summer through GSoC, and I'd love to make this
> idea into reality. Does anybody else want to replace the aging desktop
> metaphor?

1) Although the general overview of the 10gui window manager consists of
a tiling window manager, a compositing engine and a multi-touch
interface I do not believe it is feasible to modify KWin to behave in
that way as the entire KWin codebase assumes a "traditional" paradigm.
You will be required to either fork KWin entirely and strip is clean of
almost everything before you start or write a new window manager from
scratch; basing sections of code off KWin if you are using Qt (Since
KWin has some nice, properly abstracted libraries that relate to window
management).

2) For 10gui to be useful it depends on hardware that currently doesn't
exist in large numbers (Or in the case of the full implementation:
Doesn't exist at all). This means that it's a waste of time adding
specific support for it inside the primary components that make up the
KDE workspace. There's no problem writing a window manager using KDE
components or libraries but actually adding support throughout multiple
applications for a platform that doesn't actually exist yet isn't a very
good idea.

3) Expanding on #2: Since the hardware doesn't exist in the mainstream
market--the de facto target audience of KDE software--there's really no
point in applying for a GSoC project relating to 10gui from the KDE
organization. There may be other organizations that would like to
sponsor the development of the window manager (And you can happily use
KDE components in the implementation) but I honestly don't see the
sponsor itself being KDE.

--

Lucas Murray

PGP/GPG: 0x3D1C34CE; Fingerprint:
  3194 9C1D 4B4C AD7B 3538  551A 87F3 A7A8 3D1C 34CE