List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: On the future of the menubar
From:       Michael Zanetti <michael_zanetti () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-02-26 8:26:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 21 February 2010 00:18:21 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is a discussion on k-c-d about making Rekonq the default web browser,
> in which it was noted that Rekonq in its current form does not conform the
> HIG, mainly because it is completely missing a menubar. [1]
>
> I agree with the Rekonq developers in that I am not comfortable with the
> menubar as it currently exists. In contrast to the Rekonq developers, I
> have a concept for evolving the menubar into something that can
> accommodate the needs of Rekonq and similar applications, and which could
> IMO also improve the usability (or better: the "obviousity") of existing
> interfaces.
>
> I have written a very lengthy blog article [2] to explain my (attention:
> buzzword ahead) "SuperMenubar". I would very much appreciate if you could
> contribute your thoughts on this concept. Please note that there is no
> implementation at the moment.
>
> Greetings
> Stefan
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/tuxnlj3wkiyar7hy
> [2] http://majewsky.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/on-the-menubar/

Please also keep in mind that there are quite a lot of people having the
menubar outside of the actual window e.g. the Mac-like menubar in the upper
panel. Merging menu-bar and tab-bar would break that.
In that context I'm also quite unhappy about what kdevelop is doing to the
menubar.

Cheers,
Michael