List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Phonon has moved to git
From:       Harri Porten <porten () froglogic ! com>
Date:       2010-02-17 11:07:31

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>> That's good for those who use kdesvn-build, but doesn't help others.
>
> Really, who does the whole svn up, make, make install stuff manually?
> Even people who just start to build trunk are instantly starting to
> write some kind of script. So assuming that most people who build trunk
> regularly use a script is a valid thing to do IMHO.

Count me among those that don't use a script ;)

> No it doesn't. It never did. The point of kdesupport is simply to have
> stuff thats needed for building KDE "somewhere" when the project doesn't
> want to host/maintain an svn repo itself. Thats the reason for
> kdesupport's existence. And hence if a project from kdesupport wants to
> move out of svn and do the hosting themselves, then that is solely their
> decision.

Yes. But whoever does that should not forget about the impact on the
degree of pain introduced on their fellow developers. Every dependency
added to KDE makes building it a bit more complex. If the dependency is
shipped with every average distro (not even talking about non-Linux
systems) the impact is little. If it's something that one has to be
constantly fetch from elsewhere or unstable distributions packages the
impact is higher.

Therefore I support the idea of a collection repo created for convenience.

Harri.

P.S. I many case I didn't quite get why something didn't became part of
kdelibs in the first place. There are pieces of code that realistically do
not get used anywhere else.