List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk and virtuoso
From:       Sebastian Trueg <trueg () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-18 16:05:57

Dima Panov wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 00:57:46 Sebastian Trueg wrote:
>> redland is entirely useless for Nepomuk. It is very very slow and its
>> sparql support is incomplete. Alco it does not support full text
>> indexing like Virtuoso does.
>
> Did you see at *fresh* rasqal/redland?

not much changed. Especially not the performance.

>> In short: There is no alternative to Virtuoso that would not result in
>> tons of complaints (not that we don't get the complaints now, too ;)
>
> Another part of questions:
>
> I don't understand, why I need a copy of virtuoso server for each running session on my
> xDM (indeed, sometimes I share my laptop to network by XDCMP for personal use, acting as
> terminal server for some users in office).
>
> Nepomuk can't handle system-wide virtuoso server on 1111 port, isn't? And runs own copy of
> virtuoso for each session. Sounds very, very bad.

It is - not "very" bad. But not ideal. But: with a local instance and
unix socket communication there is no need for security.
At some point there might be a system wide virtuoso.

> And more. It require only virtuoso-5.0.12, not 6.0, right?

6.0 has bugs which makes Nepomuk fail. 6.0.1 will be the recommended
version for kde 4.4. Once it is released.