List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What IDE to use for KDE development
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2010-01-02 0:29:01

On 02.01.10 09:28:28, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:34:26 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > And do both of these solutions scale already? I didn't try Netbeans/C++
> > so far and Eclipse/C++ has been 2 years too, back then you didn't want
> > to open projects the size of kdelibs or even kdevelop.
>

> I've only done toy projects so far. I have some medium sized java projects at
> work that are fine. Nothing on the scale of kdelibs though.

I also use it for Java, some time ago I've fetched sources for lots of
the eclipse plugins themselves using Eclipse. So I had something like 40
or so projects in Eclipse for Java. Didn't seem to be a big issue, but
Javasupport is rather "old" in eclipse, so I'd expect it to have gotten
a lot more performance/memory-leak fixes...

> How well does KDevelop4 cope with something like kdelibs?

It'll take its time for sure, I haven't imported it for some time now (I
think the last bigger project was kdepim, which took something between 5
and 10 minutes on my high-end hardware) Also after the initial parse
it'll probably take quite a lot of memory because we haven't switched to
a memory pool. The memory allocated during parsing is often smaller
chunks so you'll suffer from fragmentation. But after a restart of the
IDE the memory usage will be drastically less.

Andreas

--
What happened last night can happen again.