List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] bug 198661
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-12-13 9:44:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 12 December 2009 19:51:51 Ravi Vagadia wrote:
> ah.. unfortunately i'm quite late for it to make into 4.4... anyway i'd
> release it as separate applet then.

Noooooo! Please don't. Releasing it as a separate applet will create lots of
confusion and problems:

- You need to backport fixes to the taskbar, otherwise you'll have two taskbars that
looks the same, one crashy with additional features, one stable without
- You'll confuse users and developers (which taskbar applet is being debugged here?)

So forking central plasma components is really a bad idea, even if the alternative
means waiting for trunk/ to open again. In the meantime, have your patch reviewed on
the plasma-devel list, there's a plasma group on reviewboard as well.

As to the patch itself. I think the new option looks a bit strange in  the "Filters"
section of the UI, that could surely be improved.

> I'd definitely love to write more patches... and ya I'd definitely try for
> svn account once I write few patches
> thanks for encouraging words :)

If you want to write more patches (and want to help with making 4.4 awesome), we're
now in bugfixing mode. Pick a bug, fix it, put it up on reviewboard and have it
committed.

As Markus said, new features will have to wait a bit, but that doesn't mean that you
can't do something useful in the meantime. Even often bugfixing is a good way to get
started with a new codebase and become part of the team.

In any case, head over to the plasma-devel list. And welcome :)
--
sebas