List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Speed on moving split-panes in KDE apps.
From:       Tomaz Canabrava <tumaix () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-06 11:46:50

There's something that's currently bothering me a bit on Qt & KDE apps. Since
sometimes kde-trunk breaks, I have also a Gnome installation by side just to
be sure I wont be able to use a graphical interface on those situations. but
when I open a KDE app it feels sluggish compared to GTK ones while moving
split-panes and redimensioning the screen, this happens on my app too, rocs, I
wonder what can I do to improve this situation. the overall is that kde is
faster than gnome, but feels slower because of those drawing things, resizing
windows and split panes is a pain ( well, not a pain, but it doesn't feels
instant like gtk apps do). at first I tougth it was because I was using a Qt
compiled with debug info, and a kde compiled with debugfull. but this week I
did a complete new compilation, and both kde and qt are in release mode, and
that still got into it. so I got worried.

another things, conserning visual consistency.:

Juk split pane is completely different from the other split panes in KDE, it
doesn't tries to redraw the screen while moving, instead it shows a
translucent squade of where the split pane will be, is this correct? I mean,
we don't need to integrate the visual apparence of all apps?

Kate's Split pane on open document is almost good as gtk apps, but not so
quite,

Dolphin's the worse on, moving 'Locals', when moving 'Information', it's ok,
and 'Folders' is not good either.
I want some direction to try to improve those situations.

Best regards,

Tomaz