List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dealing with a memory leak
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-27 17:17:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On Friday 27 November 2009 16:42:21 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> a) SHM GPU (i.e. no dedicated VRAM)?
> b) Compositing (desktop FX) enabled?
>
> In case:
> a) use "xrestop" to get details on the resource allocation
>
> b)
> - try disabling FX (this should reduce CPU as well as memory usage)
> - with enabled FX, enable the "show paint" plugin and look for contant
>  screen updates.
> - change the texture allocation strategy or try the XRender backend

OK - that sounds like a troubleshooting plan, so next time I see the problem
starting to develop I'll go through those steps.

I know that my ATi Mobility Radeon X600 is not the best GPU in the world.  I
do have compositing enabled, but limit my use to Logout desaturisation, Dim
inactive windows and Present Windows.  The problems I'm talking about have
only happened very recently - possibly since 4.3.3, or possiblyt since a
kernel update.  Most of the time it has been absolutely fine - right from 4.1
(I didn't have 4.0 on this laptop, IIRC).  In early versions I couldn't use
desktop effects at all, but from 4.2.3 it has been safe to use them sparingly,
until recently.

Currently (I had to reboot a short while ago) xrestop is showing as on the
attached .png.

It may also be relevant that on some occasions I've seen very brief references
on top to kerneloops.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group