List:       kde-devel
Subject:    What the...? Virtuoso eats memory like mad
From:       Stefan Majewsky <majewsky () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-11-23 14:47:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

I've recently activated Nepomuk, after openSUSE's Unstable repos shipped a new
package: soprano-backend-virtuoso-2.3.67svn1051506-3.1.i586

Today, I had a serious problem with memory usage (which I had to solve by
raising elephants, if you know what I mean). After this, I looked into how
much memory a freshly booted KDE desktop needs. `free` showed ~300 MB used
memory in the "-/+ buffers/cache" section (which AFAIK is the right value to
look for).

That felt like a bit more than usual, so I fired up ksysguard to search for
the process that eats my memory. I was very surprised that Virtuoso was
occupying 100 MB (one-hundred!!). And this estimate was right: After
deactivating Nepomuk and rebooting, `free` reported ~200 MB used memory.

To put these numbers into perspective: I had Strigi deactivated. All I did was
adding two tags to some text files in my home directory. This information is
of course important, but it's not worth 100 MB.

What's wrong? How can I do further investigation on this issue? I mean, I
would *really* like to use Nepomuk, but this situation makes it impossible for
me.

Greetings
Stefan