List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: More Memory Leak Madness... (Fedora 12/KDE SVN)
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists-kdedevel () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2009-11-22 13:21:01

> > On Saturday 21 November 2009 15:48:23 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone
> > > If this is not a KDE issue, please let me know and I will take it
> > >  elsewhere. I will be glad to file any bug reports that may be necessary.
> > >
> > > While compiling KDE from source, I think I have seen an example of a
memory
> > > leak.  A function named "cmakekde" invokes "cc1plus"  Sometimes
> > >  make/cc1plus will just hang.  No error, no progress whatsoever.  When I
> > >  hit "Ctrl C" the process exits immediately with no useful error messages.
> > >
> > > But I just noticed that when the compilation process appears to hang, that
> > > "cc1plus" just keeps taking up more and more memory.
> >
> > Needs more info I think.  The only situation I can think of where you may
see
> > something like this is compiling kdebindings.
>
> Hello Everyone
> As I type I am compiling kdepim from Trunk.  The exact spot that it has hung
at
> is as follows: [ 57%] Building CXX object
> kmail/CMakeFiles/kmailprivate.dir/globalsettings_base.o
>
> It has been hanging there for about seven minutes.  At 6:32am, the memory
colums
> in ksysguard were as follows:
> Virtual Size	Memory	Shared Memory
> 545.2 M		426.3 M	6.4 M
>
> At 6:39am:
> Virtual Size	Memory	Shared Memory
> 573.5 M		454.6 M	6.4 M
>
> At 6:47am:
> Virtual Size	Memory	Shared Memory
> 639.4 M		520.4 M	6.4 M
>
> On a slightly new angle, until I upgraded to Fedora 12, this system has been
> absolutley solid for me.  Since I upgraded to Fedora 12, and ONLY when one of
> these cc1plus processes is hanging while I am attempting to compile KDE from
> Trunk, I have seen my system spontaneously log out.  Nothing apparent in the
> error logs, and I ran memtest for about 4 to 5 hours with no errors.  But that
> may not even be relevant here...
>
> I'm just going to let cc1plus continue to take up memory for a while, and I
will
> get back to you later with what it has grown up to...
>
> Oh well, one more time:
> At 6:55am:
> Virtual Size	Memory
> 688.6 M		569.7 M

Hello Again
I need to move on, so I did "Ctrl C" in the terminal that was running the
offending cc1plus.  Here is the output of the file that it was hung on, and the
message that immediately followed "Ctrl C":

[ 57%] Building CXX object
kmail/CMakeFiles/kmailprivate.dir/globalsettings_base.o
^Cmake[2]: *** [kmail/CMakeFiles/kmailprivate.dir/globalsettings_base.o]
Interrupt
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

At 7:09am:
Virtual Size	Memory	Shared Memory
738.1 M		619.1 M	6.4 M

So, from 6:32am to 7:09am, cc1plus was stuck on one file, consuming an average of
54% CPU over four cores, and Virtual Memory on that one cc1plus process went
from 545.2 M to 738.1 M.  The Memory column in ksysguard went from 426.3 M to
619.1 M in that same period.  Admittedly getting this information from KSysguard
is not the preferred way to gather it, but it is the only way that I know of
right now...

Steven P. Ulrick