List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE on Small Devices and Plasma-Netbook
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-20 22:56:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On November 20, 2009, Andreas Marschke wrote:
> we've seen a lot of improvements during the last months to the incredible
>  but real Netbook-Shell for MID-Devices and (of course) Netbooks. Since now
>  the first steps were made towards getting KDE on the even smaller devices
>  such as the n900 I was wondering if we could push the netbook-shell a bit
>  further to be useable on a n900? What I'm thinking of would be  that we
>  would replace the complete interface  provided by Meamo and put KDE in its
>  place.

good news: there's already a start on such a thing in
playground/base/plasma/shells/mobile/  .. it runs on the n900 right now and
even comes with an app-switcher plasmoid that works just like the one that is
currently in the upper left hand corner of the n900 interface.

even more good news (depending on how you look at it, i guess? :) -> more
people helping out with this effort are needed, so there's still an
opportunity to make your mark here!

> Something like the keyboard is currently in my pipe and should be usefull
>  to a normal desktop aswell in places where a keyboard is not provided with
>  the machine.

we're shipping a keyboard plasmoid with 4.4; it's currently kdeplasma-addons.

> I would really like to hear suggestions/ideas/problems  to that idea from
>  you.

i'm not sure how much of the netbook UI we can use directly on the n900 as the
use case (phone) and form factor (far smaller screen) is a bit different.

things that need doing right now in the plasma-mobile shell are:

* provide a replacement for the applet handles that is more appropriate to the
screen size (as we did for netbook as well in the "newspaper" layout)

* provide a "full screen" widget options in addition to the "free floating
widgets on the canvas" view (think: iPhone style apps; this would be the
mobile form factor version of plasma-netbook's newspaper layout)

* small form factor appropriate widget selector (the new one is good, but
doesn't really cut it for a screen the size of the n900; so we may either
provide a whole new UI for it or just provide a modification to the current
one)

if you're interested, please join us on plasma-devel@kde.org where we can
continue the conversation.. :)

--