List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Serving a particular user group
From:       Robby Stephenson <robby () periapsis ! org>
Date:       2009-11-19 14:32:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thursday 19 November 2009 05:05:15 Robby Stephenson wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to move it to Techbase. I'd just modify the link in the primary
> > Tellico page http://userbase.kde.org/Tellico to point to that page. But
> >  it's a wide grey area, I think, about how to divide that kind of info. I
> >  can put a big fat warning on the main Userbase Tellico page when I link
> >  the compiling instructions.
> >
> Would you need to warn?  I'm open to views on this, but it seems to me that
> for the category of users you are considering, the only thing they will be
> concerned about is seeing good instructions.

True. And for this particularly page, it's more than likely they get to it
from a "compiling tellico" google search, so they do ever see the link...

> > I'd started to put up some articles about using Tellico on the Tellico
> > website itself. But with the extra exposure and translation opportunity
> on
> > Userbase, I decided to start putting things there. Upcoming pages could
> > include
>
> (I'm not sure whether you mean this list to refer to working with Tellico,
> or
> general, so just take my remarks in the general light, to kick ideas
> around.)

Working with Tellico, sorry to be ambiguous.

>   - Installing scripts from kde-files.org (not writing scripts, just
> installing them, which involves copying files)
>   - Installing template files (there's a button for this, but for
> completeness, I would include command-line instructions)
>   - DBUS examples
>

> I think there's a range of ability and knowledge required here.  We'll
> never
> get a clear dividing line,   Some sort of discretion will have to be
> exercised.  You can only consider how many people, and of what experience
> level  would be likely to need the particular set of instructions.  If it's
> something that ordinary users might well need, put it in userbase.  If it
> is
> less commonly needed, put it in techbase but link from userbase.

I was thinking of those particular examples as ones not currently in the
Tellico documentation, as well as the ones that seem to get searched for
most on the Tellico website. I think I understand the distinction, so they
all three would go to techbase.

> Two things we really need to do - we need to make sure that things are
> linked
> around, within *bases and externally, as much as possible, and we need to
> improve the search engine for the wikis.

Agreed. I don't really care where the article, really, since linking and
search results provide the ways for users to get there.

Thanks for the attention and consideration! I'll try to get the Tellico
compiling page moved shortly.

Robby