List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE3 maintenance
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-18 23:47:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On November 18, 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> KDE3 is not supported any more, although we might publish security issues,
>  we - as in the release team - will not make a 3.5.11 release. The 3.5
>  branch in any case is closed for features and string changes, so you can
>  not commit those.

and if he created a new branch in svn?

> I think the best thing you could do, is just make a website which gathers
>  the patches. If you don't want to and want to work on a new KDE version
>  with your patches, you are pretty much on your own though,

unless he gathers a community around those efforts. i don't think we need to
lend our own efforts, e.g. release team engineering, but i also don't think we
should stifle the efforts of others.

i don't think such a development would threaten kde4 progress in any
meaningful way at this point.

>  I'ld suggest
>  you rename it for clarity in that case. I don't think we can bind the KDE
>  brand to such a version...

yes, i don't think we could call it "KDE 3.5.11" or even "KDE <anything>"
without more eyes on the branch.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se