List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Serving a particular user group
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-18 16:09:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I need some input on what is for me a tricky problem.  When we started
UserBase I felt that I was quite clear as to what was relevant, and what was
Techbase material.  We spelled it out on http://userbase.kde.org/Userbase.
However, I am again facing the problem of someone who wants to give detailed
instructions on how to compile an application from source.
http://userbase.kde.org/Tellico/Compiling.  Every time I have spoken to
regular contributors on Userbase the reply has been unanimous - this is not
what Userbase was set up for.

Clearly this is outside the remit that we first understood.  On the other
hand, looking at Techbase's structure, there is no obvious home for it there.
I would like some opinions on how we should cater for that group of users -
power users? - who want to build a package from source because their distro
doesn't provide it.  I see them as being probably much more knowledgeable than
the average user, but on the other hand not developers either.

I suspect that the only sensible way is to make a decision to support those
users in a section either on userbase or on techbase, and try to enforce it
fairly strictly.  Personally I would prefer it to be a section of Techbase,
hoping that it would encourage that type of user to explore Techbase and
possibly become more of a contributor.  If that's not acceptable I have to
think about how we can handle it in Userbase, without risking ordinary users
being frightened away because they see pages of build instructions.

I really would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group