List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Help - Desktop destroyed in Plasma
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-17 10:41:12

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 11:40:07 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On November 16, 2009, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > It worked! ... :-)  Mind you, I think you must have hacked into my
> > powered off laptop somehow while I was asleep or in the shower this
> > morning (Australian time).  Last night there was no "Zoom out", only "Add
> > Widgets..." and "Desktop Settings".
>
> yeah; i don't think it's going to happen for 4.4 now, though it might
> depending on how the next week goes for me here, but we are going to be
> replacing the zooming with something else that's a bit easier to figure out
> and less fragile.

Well I'm coming in on the middle of the movie, so I hope I will not be
offering you liquid nitrogen to put in your car (re another thread) ... :-)

Anyway, when I first heard of the zooming desktop (or ZUI) a couple of
years ago, I imagined it would be a hierarchical more-or-less geometry-
free type of thing, e.g. a "top" desktop containing plasmoids of a type
which could expand out into lower-level desktops of the current kind or
even another level of "desktop" plasmoids.  Closing a desktop would take
you back to the next higher level (i.e. like "zoom out").

In my own case, I might have a top level containing "desktop" plasmoids
called Investment, Personal, Course Preparation and Programming.  The
Programming one might split up into desktops for each of the applications
I develop or support.  But the default case should be a single desktop that
always opens on logging in, as now (i.e. no hierarchy unless the user
wants it).

Conceptually even, the very topmost level could be "desktop" plasmoids
representing my account and my wife's, password-protected of course.  If
this all sounds like a hierarchical file-system, that's no accident.

Cheers, Ian W.