List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Getting Started" documentation is a mess
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-11-08 21:50:04

On Sunday 08 November 2009, Fábio Firmo wrote:
> I don't want to be another "i have this problem too and I don't like it!"
> e-mail, but I did find the these sections on TechBase confusing several
> times. Especially the "separate user vs same user" confusion, wich I
>  found in several articles at the time.
>
> I know it's a wiki, but I don't have enough knowledge to edit it yet. I
>  just know that it wasn't very helpful to me at the time (1 year ago).
>
> Maybe the community could put an coletive effort into it, I think the
> work/benefit ratio is quite good, since set up the environment and
>  compile is the first brick wall to new contributors, I guess...

I'm using kdesvn-build to build the kde modules.
Once you've installed all the dependencies (those distribution dependency
pages are pretty good), it's just a matter of running kdesvn-build and
you're done. I've once blogged about it and still think it's the way to go.
Besides kdsvn-build I use a little run-script to start trunk-apps in my
current environment/as current user. No extra user. It works perfectly since
years.

Dominik