List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Dolphin: plugin loading problem
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2009-11-04 21:49:43

Hello,

Dolphin for KDE 4.4 will support plugins for revision control systems like SVN
(already implemented as prototype), Git, CVS, ...

I've written already a plugin prototype for SVN. Currently it is located
inside the Dolphin sources, but it will be removed outside Dolphin if the
plugin interface has been proofed to be stable (probably KDE 4.5).

However I've problem to load the plugin properly and hope someone can give me
a hint. To load the plugin the following approach is used:

const KService::List plugins =
    KServiceTypeTrader::self()->query("FileViewVersionControlPlugin");
for (KService::List::ConstIterator it = plugins.constBegin();
    it != plugins.constEnd(); ++it) {
    KVersionControlPlugin* p = (*it)->createInstance<KVersionControlPlugin>();
    // ...
}

The SVN plugin can be found successfully, however p is always 0 and the
following error is given:

dolphin(13505)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
"/home/kde4peter/kde/lib/kde4/fileviewsvnplugin.so" does not offer a
qt_plugin_instance function.
dolphin(13505)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde3Factory: The library
"/home/kde4peter/kde/lib/kde4/fileviewsvnplugin.so" does not offer an
"init_fileviewsvnplugin" function.

I checked http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Services/Plugins but
don't understand how to deal with "The Plugin Factory Macro" and guess that is
missing in my SVN plugin...

Maybe someone with plugin-experience has a hint for me ;-)

The plugin interface is defined at [1], the subversion plugin is available in
Dolphin at [2].

Thanks in advance for any help,
Peter

[1] Version control plugin interface: