List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Akonadi server
From:       Volker Krause <vkrause () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-23 7:18:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 23 October 2009 05:44:57 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On 23/10-2009 04:10 John Tapsell <johnflux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and the first thing I was presented with was
> > a dialog box telling me that Akonadi server had failed to start.  The
> > dialog was very complex, listing various components with their status.
> >  Something to do with errors in my mysql server log (?).
> >
> > It did not tell me at all what Akonadi was, whether the error serious,
> > and what to do.

the dialog certainly can be improved, but it contains hints on how to fix the
most common problems as well as a link to the wiki which contains much more
detailed information.

> > I think that this sort of thing really has a negative impact on first
> > impressions.

was that a clean distro installation or a self-compiled KDE? I thought most
distros had fixed their MySQL problems by now, but Ubuntu was one of those
that caused the most trouble: http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Apparmor .

> > Worse still, I get this error box every time I start up KDE.  And
> > there's no clue on how to get it to just go away.
> >
> > John

> You should probably report it at:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug

it is most likely a setup problem (which is what this self-test dialog is
supposed to detect in the first place), especially if this is a clean
distro installation, in this case please report to the distro, not KDE.

regards
Volker