List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "animations" in oxygen style
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-23 2:07:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On October 22, 2009, Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote
> I think that well-done animations, meaning: they represent a "natural"
> behavior of the object you interact with (as opposed to: my widgets

this is what we've been calling "organic interfaces" :)

> Now, as to define what is "natural" animation, is where discussing with
> people comes into play (hence the email)

the "rules" we have in plasma are that in a perfect world:

* nothing disappears without a transition

* nothing appears with out an entrance

* nothing turns into a representation of itself, e.g. when dragging you drag
the object not an icon that represents the object

* an item that is perceived to be "The same item" such as a tooltip or a
selection area should not appear and disappear, but travel and adjust itself
so that the illusion that it is "The same item" is reinforced

* when manipulating a visual object, allow the user to manipulate the object
itself or in the worst case something attached to it that can be perceived as
being  part of it; changing something by going into a separate interface is
poor form (the exception to this is many of the pure data settings found in
configuration dialog)

* things should get smaller when they need to, and get bigger when they can;
showing more information or less is optional, but things should have as big a
range of possible sizes as possible

these are the guidelines we're trying to follow when it comes to such things;
the common idea is to pander to visual and mental perception traits that are
generally consistent across our species.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se