List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "animations" in oxygen style
From:       John Tapsell <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-23 2:00:00

2009/10/23 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>:
> On October 22, 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
>> I personally don't like the animations because it makes everything
>> feel very 'heavy'.   E.g. if I hover over a scrollbar/button and there
>> is a delay before it's glowing, I'm going to feel that the machine is
>> being slow and unresponsive.
>
> this has everything to do with the style, framerate and speed of the
> animation. animations done poorly make things feel heavy. animations done
> right make things feel responsive.

Usually I'd agree - for most animations 300ms is considered
nearly-instant.  However this does not apply for clicking/hovering
animations.  When typing on a keyboard, for example, a delay of a mere
100ms between touching and response is already considered to be felt
as a very heavy keyboard.  60ms is tolerable, and most people prefer
30ms responses.

I see no reason why the same doesn't apply here.  You need instant
response and highlighting.  You can then animate something
additionally on top if you wish, but the initial highlighting must be
near instant (e.g. around 50ms).

John