List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: dikt - kde tree
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-10-07 16:49:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On October 7, 2009, Cristian Târşoagă wrote:
> Recently, I tried to find a DICT client for kde 4 (to translate strings
> using a DICT server).
> I am aware of the existence of a plasma widget but I wanted a desktop app
> instead.

you can run a plasma widget in a window by itself. one could even create a
widget-specific window shell for a particular widget. at that point the code
can quite literally be share between any other libplasma app and that shell.

still may not be what you want, so ....

> So I have to ask this: what are the steps required to add an application to
> the KDE tree and who decides this?

http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines

something like diktv would probably make sense in extragear where it can do
its own releases or in kdenetwork, but that would be up to the kdenetwork
module maintainer to decide whether or not a stand-alone DICT application is
something a default install of network tools should include.

either way, if you are wanting to maintain the application, there's a place
for it in our svn somewhere :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se