List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font hinting: suggestion to consistently restrict its usage to UI
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-09-29 18:23:37

A Dimarts, 29 de setembre de 2009, Benoit Jacob va escriure:
> Dear list,
>
> This is to start a discussion. If you want me to get to work on this
> rather than just talking, i'll need guidance because i'm not expert of
> these things.
>
> A KDE application, like KWord or Okular, shows two kinds of text on screen:
> 1)  UI text  (e.g. menus)
> 2)  Document text  (the user's document, in WYSIWYG apps like KWord or
> Okular. Not talking about Kate here!)
>
> I'd like to make the case that font hinting should _never_ be used for
> _document_ text. Yes, for _UI_ text it's a matter of taste and as such
> it's perfectly fine. I'm saying that the configuration dialog in
> System Settings should only affect UI text and not document text.

That's where I stopped reading, you can't work on the code because you are not
an expert (i don't blame you for that, i'm not an expert in font rendering
either) and you are dictating a thing that in my opinion is totally about what
people do or don't like, you don't know what people like, you have a rationale
about why you like it that way, but that doesn't convince people they are
wrong.

Albert