List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font hinting: suggestion to consistently restrict its usage to UI
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-29 13:22:43

2009/9/29 Aekold Helbrass <helbrass@gmail.com>:
> Guys, please compare 2 attached screenshots. I just modified
> /etc/fonts/suse-hinting.conf to get those results. To the left - Arial
> without autohinting, to the right - with autohinting. From my point of
> view it's all depends on your fontconfig settings.

I dont understand how is this related to this discussion ? (Besides
the fact that Okular/poppler precisely doesn't honor FC settings)

Your screenshot falls more in the UI text category, and aside from
that, just because font hinting can look good in one case doesn't
address my argument that it looks bad an is even non-functional in
other cases...

In order to be relevant to this discussion, your screenshots should
show Okular and KWord rendering at various zoom levels, and should not
only look neat but should also show that zooming is really zooming and
doesn't show a wholly different document.

Benoit