List:       kde-devel
Subject:    what is advantage of KXmlGuiWindow?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-08-11 0:37:58

I am working on an application that will have an integrated CLI (command
line interface). Everything except the work area will be driven via the
command subsystem; that is, every menu item, toolbar button and keyboard
shortcut will issue commands through the CLI.

What I REALLY need is for all menu actions (except maybe 'recent
documents'; I won't be using actions as such for toolbars) to invoke the
same handler with a string argument, where the string will be different
for each menu item.

I would like to use something that is similar to KDE's shortcut
configuration dialog, though I fear I will not be able to do so, since I
need to be able to bind shortcuts to user-defined actions as well as
menu items.

I don't want even 'show status bar' as a standard action.

Given that... is there any reason still to use KXmlGuiWindow? Also, how
would I go about the 'every menu item issues the same signal with a
different parameter'? (KXmlGui doing that would be great!)

--
Matthew
Never give up on learning