List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-05 7:00:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Regression is a word that comes to my mind.

not all features that were in kde3 and are not in kde4 are regressions,
however. in fact, we're starting to get to the point where soon most of the
"missing" features aren't regressions but purposeful changes in design.

kde4 is NOT kde3. we didn't set out to recreate everything in kde3, we set out
to make something a bit different than kde3, attempting to make changes to
make it better.

long time users will not agree with all those changes. that doesn't make them
regressions.

classic example: the "show the wallpaper through the panel without
compositing" feature in kicker. that was dropped quite purposefully because
there are proper ways to achieve that which don't incur performance or
configuration UI penalties and keep our code base clean as a bonus. some
people tried to pose that as a regression, but it certainly isn't.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se