List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 21:10:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Now you're making me really angry.

i'm sorry you're upset, that sucks. :( try and read what i'm writing as a call
for collective responsibility instead of having to rely on individual heroics
or a constant insult-defense cycle.

i really appreciate what you and other positive thinking people do in the KDE
community. but somehow we need to find a way to talk frankly about the
challenges we face. otherwise a deepening rift will continue to spread between
users and developers, throwing away so much effort so many people put into
erasing that rift in past years.

so let's try and dialog about what can actually be done about this, or about
what the shape of the problem actually is. maybe this isn't the best place for
it. probably not. but it's a start. if you can think of a more appropriate and
useful place to talk about this, just name it and i'll be there. :)

(btw, the easy thing for me is to just walk away from this and go "typical
f/oss user community dynamics" and pretend it isn't bad and can't be improved
upon anyways. but i don't like where we are as a whole (not necessarily as
individuals, however :) and so feel like it's worth it to work through it)

> You have no idea how often ordinary
> caring users do stand up to be counted, defending developers.

i'm not looking for developers to be defended. that defending has to happen at
all is a symptom of the problem, really. there's a -cultural- malaise amongst
the body of users where it is considered just fine to pick at each other,
throw tantrums, the whole 9 yards. and then this results in others needing to
stand up and be counted. etc, etc.

we don't accept that kind of behavior between contributors to the project, and
not because we police it as much as we just don't have it as part of our
project's culture.

now, the people who cause grief (and the people who put salve on it) are not
usually here-and-gone type people. they tend to be part of a group of people
who interact over a long period of time. that means there's some sort of
implied cultural system that goes along with it. and right now, that culture
states that free-for-alls are just fine.

i believe that it shouldn't be necessary for users to have to stand up and be
counted and defend contributors and what not so often. unfortunately, our user
community is anarchistic rather than based on any actual agreements or shared
values outside of "i am interested in open source and/or kde in specific" and
it has devolved to the point of being unfriendly to deal with for
contributors.

there are shining points of light in the sky, absolutely. including people
such as yourself, Anne. your energy should be able to go to better things that
dealing with the latest user outbreak. it's like medieval times out there
where the "peasants" revolt. and really, i think that's _part_ of the
challenge:

too many of the involved user population see themselves as disconnected,
second class citizens and as such rise up with a lot more poison than is ever
necessary. they seem to feel that the big bad developers are out to get them
and instead of working with us they have to wrestle with us.

this just alienates the contributors from the involved users more and more and
_creates_ a two-tiered society in some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

it all needs to be deescalated, and the main drive will have to come from
within the user community. i can't do it because i am part of the "developer"
caste, separate from "them", in too many eyes. there needs to be some
positive, productive movement that is more attractive and enjoyable and
rewarding that people can rally around and in the process marginalize the
trouble behaviours.

it's not a simple issue; it existed before kde 4 was around.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se