List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: NetBeans 6.7.1
From:       Aekold Helbrass <helbrass () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-01 19:57:40

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Lindsay
Mathieson<lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:30:25 pm R.F. Pels wrote:
>> > Had to do the usual painful tweaking of java parameters to get fonts
>> > that didn't look like c**p :)
>>
>> What did you do? Pass a fontsize on the commandline?
>
> netbeans --laf Nimbus -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=true -J-
> Dswing.aatext=true
>
> Use the Nimbus Look and Feel and turn antialiasing on, Gave the me the best
> results. Needs Sun Java 1.6.10, Open Java looks terrible.
>
> Not as good as a native app, but no worse than gnome.

BTW, you can set -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings to lcd if you want
subpixel antialiasing. -J-Dswing.aatext works only for Sun Java 5,
it's not used in Java 6.
Being Java developer I wouldn't suggest you to use OpenJDK still. Hope
it will be usable with Java7 release, but now better keep using Sun.

More than that, I modified fontconfig.SuSE.properties to use DejaVu
Condensed fonts, they're much better than shipped with JDK/JRE and
have better antialiasing abilities. If you need it - download here
http://heresylabs.googlecode.com/files/fontconfig.SuSE.properties and
place it to your jdk/jre/lib folder (or jre/lib if you don't have java
devel installed). If you have other distro than suse - just rename it
to fontconfig.properties. And check font path at the bottom of that
file. Hope it will make you enjoy NetBeans a bit more.