List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: NetBeans 6.7.1
From:       Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles () elpauer ! org>
Date:       2009-08-01 0:48:59

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Andreas Pakulat<apaku@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 01.08.09 01:22:59, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>> Pros:
>
> As this mostly compares with KDevelop, I'll allow myself to add some
> comments :)
>
>> - Supports refactoring
>
> <shameless plug>
> KDevelop does too, even has a SoC project for that
> </shameless plug>

I know but currently NetBeans' refactoring is better

>> - Very well integrated with Sun's open source forge (Project Kenai).
>> It'd be nice to have this kind of integration with Gitorious in
>> KDevelop for Qt and KDE stuff.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit about that? What kind of integration do you
> mean?

Take a look at the attached screenshot
(netbeans-kenai-integration.png). From inside NetBeans you can:

a) Log in to Kenai. It'd be nice if KDevelop supported Gitorious,
GitHub, SourceForge, etc

b) Create a new project in Kenai. KDevelop: create new project in
Gitorious (as parte of the KDE team, or whatever we come with for KDE
in Gitorious), GitHub, SourceForge, etc

c) Open an existing project in Kenai. KDevelop: check out from
Subversion / clone from Git, then find out the build tool and open the
project. It should be pretty easy in Gitorious/GitHub, a bit more
complex in SourceForge since SF allows several SCM tools.

- Share local project in Kenai. I. e. I have a project in my
hard-disk, now I want to make it public. Steps involved: 1) create a
new project ( (a) in the list ), add my files to the repository, push.
KDevelop: Gitorious, GitHub, etc

- Get sources from Kenai. The good old Subversion checkout / git
clone, with another name.

- Send chat message / show who's online: IRC in a designated channel.
Can we add "SET( IRC-CHANNEL #kdevelop )" and "SET( IRC-SERVER
irc.freenode.org )" to a project's CMakeLists.txt ? Maybe in another
file (the old .lsm files were good for this).

>> - Supports cross-compilation and changing tools
>> (compiler/assembler/linker/etc) easily. It'd be nice to have this in
>> KDevelop.
>
> You actually do, all you need is to create a separate builddir thats
> using your cross-compiler. What we probably should add is a way to set
> the environment for the cmake command so you can easily tell it that
> CXX=gnu-linux-arm-gcc etc...

But it's not easy.

Take a look at the attached screenshot (netbeans-toolchain-selection.png).

In NetBeans, changing toolchains is one click away.

In CMake, you need to manually select the compiler, the linker, the
assembler, etc one by one.

There are zillions of toolchains for cross-compilation, maybe we could
have some kind of "toolchain description files" and allow them to be
easily downloaded using GetHotNewStuff ? Info needed: compiler,
linker, assembler, profiler, more?

Toolchains I can remember now: gcc, Intel, Sun Studio, VxWorks, QNX,
Maemo, mingw32

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

["netbeans-kenai-integration.png" (image/png)]
["netbeans-toolchain-selection.png" (image/png)]