List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange backtrace
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-31 8:00:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Lubos Lunak wrote:
>On Thursday 30 of July 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> >A Dijous, 30 de juliol de 2009, Thiago Macieira va escriure:
>> >
>> >Yeah but you are doing it the hard way, if you want me to help,
>> > switch to git.
>> >
>> >Of course it's your decision helping or not, but to me it seems
>> > pushing too much.
>>
>> Well, consider that I don't backport my fixes because I don't deal
>> with SVN branches.
>
> Yeah, it must be hard, the failing memory and all those
> difficult-to-use svnbackport scripts ...

Let's skip the fact that I consider *backporting* fixes to be the wrong
model in the first place.

The reason I don't use those scripts is that I use git-svn and tracking
multiple branches in our SVN with that is close to impossible. Yes, I
chose to use git-svn. And I did that because I gain a lot from it. I won't
go into the benefits of DVCS because you all already know it.

If the drawback is that I can't access older branches (which I never build
anyway), so be it.

Now, backporting is the wrong model. You shouldn't backport fixes to
previous releases. The fix should be applied to the earliest release it
makes sense, then merged into all later releases. This guarantees that all
newer releases contain all fixes from previous releases.

That's the model we use in Qt with Git. It's also been the same model that
we used with Perforce, albeit slightly different because of Perforce
limitations.

svnbackport is a port of cvsbackport to SVN. The reason we don't do the
proper model is because both CVS and SVN have lousy merge abilities (to
say nothing of branching). This will be one of the things I'll be most
happy about when we switch to Git -- more so than the DVCS itself.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358