List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Strange backtrace
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2009-07-28 20:07:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 21:48:08 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> As you see, the second-to-last line in the method invokes
> Kolf::Game::setCurrentHole, which equals the step from #8 to #7 in above
> backtrace. The fact that puzzles me is that the this pointer changes
> between #8 and #7. How can I interpret this? In my understanding the this
> pointer stays the same even during casts (if we disregard multiple
> inheritance which is not used in this class layout). Is this wrong?

The this-pointer even stays the same when using multiple inheritance afaik
(because it is still the same object).

I have/had a lot of these kinds too. Two things:
1) Sometimes these crashes where because one thread deleted the object while
this function was running in another thread. Very hard to debug and very hard
to prevent from within the class.
2) When doing a lot of changes breaking a lot of api, these crashes sometimes
mean that some lib or binary object from before the changes is accessed or
trying to access the changed parts. Try a complete uninstall and rebuilt (not
from cache but from scratch) of the libs and binaries to see whether it is
really #1.

Have fun,

Arnold