List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some beginner questions
From:       Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-22 14:54:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM, <daitheflu@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to build a media-center app. I'm currently using Python and a
> library called clutter (see http://www.clutter.org/) to achieve my goal.
> This choice was mainly driven by the fact that I use Gnome as desktop
> environment. But I recently give KDE4 a try and I found in love with it. =
So,
> I'm planning to switch.
> Well, before actually switching, I would like to know the consequences on
> my project.
>
> I'm currently thinking about re-writing the GUI part of my app with Qt
> (pyQt4), does it sounds ok to you ?
> I will also need to play video files (DVD and subtitles support would be
> much appreciated) and audio files. I've read about Phonon but I'm not rea=
lly
> sure it can play video, does it ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers, any comments will be much appreciated
> :)
>
> --
> Fran=E7ois

There is a Google Summer of Code project for a Plasma media center
application by Alessandro Diaferia ( http://alediaferia.wordpress.com/ ).
You might want to contact him or check out the current status of the code,
so you can avoid re-inventing the wheel. You might also want to take a look
at Qt Kinetic for something like Clutter ( I haven't used either Clutter or
Kinetic so I could be wrong about this ).

Good luck,
Nikhil