List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Startup time of non-kde apps in KDE session
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2009-07-19 18:37:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 19 July 2009 17:39:08 Aekold Helbrass wrote:
> There is a feature I cannot explain. I am using OpenSUSE with KDE
> 4.2.4 for everyday usage, and it's just great - pretty, fast and
> usable. But when I am launching Eclipse - it takes up to 30 seconds to
> launch it on AthlonX2 6000+ and 2GB or RAM. But when I switched to
> IceWM - the same Eclipse started in about 4 seconds. It's very strange
> for me because KDE own apps like Krusader, KWrite, Konsole and
> anything other starts almost instantly (while KDE3 and Qt3 I used to
> recompile with -O3 flag for better performance). Firstly I thought
> that it'd *.dekstop file parsing time, but I launched it from Konsole
> invoking direct binary.

Here is a shot: KDE-Apps inside a running KDE-Session start fast because the
libs are already in memory. Only a small set of libs has to be loaded. Eclipse
loads slow, because lots of libraries are to be loaded and your memory is
already filled with stuff and caches. So the machine has to swap and / or
invalidate cache and memory before loading eclipse.
You can try to start Eclipse in IceWM after starting several KDE-Apps to see
whether my theory holds.

Have a nice week,

Arnold