List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 is a memory hog
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-15 7:20:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>On Monday 13 July 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Our stacks are far too large. That's easily visible in many
>> applications. Here's an excerpt from /proc/`pidof
>> plasma-desktop`/smaps:
>>
>> 096d8000-168ad000 rw-p 096d8000 00:00 0          [heap]
>
>em. our stacks are far too large, so here's the heap measure? :)

Oops. Read what I meant, not what I said!!

I meant the heap is too large.

>> Size:             214868 kB
>> Rss:              214576 kB
>> Pss:              214576 kB
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why Plasma needed to allocate 209.8 MB of RAM?
>> (binary 1024 units)
>
>probably a memory leak somewhere. or maybe something in your
> configuration that's taking an unreasonable amount of ram.

Yay for stating the obvious :-)

But, in all fairness, I need to launch a newer plasma. This one is a few
weeks old.

>profiling would be helpful. even knowing what your configuration is
> would be helpful.

True. Sorry for picking plasma and showing the numbers here without
digging into the why. (Usually, Amarok serves that role)

I'll massif plasma when I have the chance.

> (there have been reports that suggest there's a leak
> somewhere in the slideshow wallpaper, though it hasn't been identified.
> iirc you use a slideshow paper over two screens, yes?)

Yes, two 1680x1050 screens with over 300 wallpapers in the slideshow
config.

> 12:42am  up 3 days 22:09,  23 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.35, 0.37
>
>and the [heap] entry from plasma's smaps is:
>
> 08055000-09729000 rw-p 08055000 00:00 0          [heap]
>Size:              23376 kB
>Rss:               23096 kB
>Pss:               22984 kB
>Shared_Clean:          0 kB
>
>but then right now on this machine i'm only running one panel, one
> screen with a single image wallpaper, tasks, kickoff, device notifier,
> system tray, battery, digital clock weather and translation widgets.
>
>a good chunk of that 23mb is likely to be the wallpaper i'm using
> (though maybe that isn't permanently stored in the heap; i haven't
> looked yet) and the rest will be various bits of windows and widgets
> and data structures.
>
>nearly zero profiling has gone on for memory usage within plasma, and
> that certainly shows. it could also be a lot worse.

Indeed. That's exactly the point of this thread: we have done a lot of
nice things and shiny things for KDE 4 so far.

Now it's time to start profiling.

>> No. I expect KDE 4 to excel in other areas, like battery time. For
>> example, right now, Plasma wakes up between 20 and 60 times per second
>> due to timers. Killing Plasma makes my laptop's power consumption drop
>> by 1 W
>
>bugs get fixed as and when reported. this was probably the taskbar
> timers issue i fixed before leaving for vancouver.

Which would explain why I couldn't reproduce the problem anymore two days
ago.

>and really,  it's kind of that simple. most of the things in this thread
> are of the "huh, something's broken or not as good as it should be"
> type to which the answer is simple:
>
>* identify the problem specifically ("timers are firing" == not specific
>enough; "i remove the taskbar and it goes quiet" == a great start)

Right. My problem was that I spent two hours trying to debug Plasma only
to remember later that I didn't have the sources in the laptop. (Mandatory
facepalming did happen)

So I didn't have more information to share. I tried removing the battery
applet, but it didn't have any effect -- of couse, since it had nothing to
do with the problem. And when I tried two days ago, with a new build, the
problem was gone.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358