List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 is a memory hog
From:       Christian Weilbach <christian_weilbach () web ! de>
Date:       2009-07-14 0:01:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Am Montag, 13. Juli 2009 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >On 13.07.09 10:26:34, Christian Weilbach wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As I have blogged before here: http://whilos.blogsite.org/?p=102 I
> >> have certain problems about KDE4's increased memory requirements and I
> >> am not alone.
> >> Forgive me the length of the mail, but I have already tried to
> >> convince people that this is a serious issue and have failed in the
> >> past, so I have really tried to get proving information together and
> >> am looking forward to your help.
> >
> >Sorry to say that but those numbers don't help at all. All you're seeing
> >there is that $someapp uses a certain amount of memory. Where that
> >memory is used and wether it could possibly be reduced needs a bit more
> >work, in particular profiling the app(s) in question. So run the worst
> >memory hogs with valgrind --tool=massif and post the results on the
> >relevant developer lists.
>
> I think the numbers do help. They do prove that we need to profile our apps
> and fix them.
>
> Our stacks are far too large. That's easily visible in many applications.
> Here's an excerpt from /proc/`pidof plasma-desktop`/smaps:
>
> 096d8000-168ad000 rw-p 096d8000 00:00 0          [heap]
> Size:             214868 kB
> Rss:              214576 kB
> Pss:              214576 kB
>
> Can anyone tell me why Plasma needed to allocate 209.8 MB of RAM? (binary
> 1024 units)
>
> The use of MySQL in Amarok and Akonadi increases the memory usage by
> another 30 MB (just by starting MySQL). The use of the NVidia driver
> consumes another 10 MB *per* *process*: amarok, plasma, ksmserver, kwin
> (unless you're using KDE 4.3).
>
> There are definitely memory leaks in some places. In other places, we need
> profiling to find out why we're wasting so much memory.
>
> However, I also know that we are using more memory for caching things,
> pre-rendered pixmaps for example. We use more memory to make the system
> faster. So I don't expect KDE 4 to reach KDE 3 levels again.
>
> No. I expect KDE 4 to excel in other areas, like battery time. For
> example, right now, Plasma wakes up between 20 and 60 times per second due
> to timers. Killing Plasma makes my laptop's power consumption drop by 1 W
> (extending the battery time from 6 to 7 hours). Keeping desktop effects
> enabled consumes another 1.6 W and this time I have no explanation (no
> application wakes up more often). Konqueror also keeps waking up the disk
> every 2 seconds to save its crash recovery, even when there's no change in
> state.
>
> So I expect KDE 4 to be larger, use more memory, to be faster and consume
> less (or the same) power than KDE 3. And, to boot, be more functional and
> more pleasing to the eye.

Thx Thiago, that is exactly what I wanted to point out. The problem is not my
personal one, but the numbers show that it is a general problem and the
problem exists inside KDE4. And this is not fixable by me nor by a one man
effort elsewhere either imo.
PLEASE help improve the situation so I can use KDE4 in the future here.
Any ideas how to keep the issue focused?

Cheers,
whilo

--
My blog: http://whilos.blogsite.org