List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4 is a memory hog
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-13 21:27:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>On 13.07.09 10:26:34, Christian Weilbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I have blogged before here: http://whilos.blogsite.org/?p=102 I
>> have certain problems about KDE4's increased memory requirements and I
>> am not alone.
>> Forgive me the length of the mail, but I have already tried to
>> convince people that this is a serious issue and have failed in the
>> past, so I have really tried to get proving information together and
>> am looking forward to your help.
>
>Sorry to say that but those numbers don't help at all. All you're seeing
>there is that $someapp uses a certain amount of memory. Where that
>memory is used and wether it could possibly be reduced needs a bit more
>work, in particular profiling the app(s) in question. So run the worst
>memory hogs with valgrind --tool=massif and post the results on the
>relevant developer lists.

I think the numbers do help. They do prove that we need to profile our apps
and fix them.

Our stacks are far too large. That's easily visible in many applications.
Here's an excerpt from /proc/`pidof plasma-desktop`/smaps:

096d8000-168ad000 rw-p 096d8000 00:00 0          [heap]
Size:             214868 kB
Rss:              214576 kB
Pss:              214576 kB

Can anyone tell me why Plasma needed to allocate 209.8 MB of RAM? (binary
1024 units)

The use of MySQL in Amarok and Akonadi increases the memory usage by
another 30 MB (just by starting MySQL). The use of the NVidia driver
consumes another 10 MB *per* *process*: amarok, plasma, ksmserver, kwin
(unless you're using KDE 4.3).

There are definitely memory leaks in some places. In other places, we need
profiling to find out why we're wasting so much memory.

However, I also know that we are using more memory for caching things,
pre-rendered pixmaps for example. We use more memory to make the system
faster. So I don't expect KDE 4 to reach KDE 3 levels again.

No. I expect KDE 4 to excel in other areas, like battery time. For
example, right now, Plasma wakes up between 20 and 60 times per second due
to timers. Killing Plasma makes my laptop's power consumption drop by 1 W
(extending the battery time from 6 to 7 hours). Keeping desktop effects
enabled consumes another 1.6 W and this time I have no explanation (no
application wakes up more often). Konqueror also keeps waking up the disk
every 2 seconds to save its crash recovery, even when there's no change in
state.

So I expect KDE 4 to be larger, use more memory, to be faster and consume
less (or the same) power than KDE 3. And, to boot, be more functional and
more pleasing to the eye.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358